뉴스 인권뉴스

과테말라: 10대 소녀의 참혹한 죽음 방관한 정부

과테말라 정부가 10대 소녀의 비극적인 살인 사건을 제대로 조사하지 않았다는 미주인권재판소의 판결은 전세계 정부에게 여성폭력 문제에 대한 방관을 더 이상 용인하지 않겠다는 메시지를 전달한 것이라고 국제앰네스티가 30일 과테말라시티에서 열린 판결 관련 기자회견을 앞두고 밝혔다.

지난 2001년 과테말라에서 성폭행과 고문을 당하고 참혹히 살해된 15세 소녀 마리아 이사벨 벨리스 프랑코의 어머니가 제기한 이번 사건에 대해 7월 27일 미주인권재판소는 다음과 같이 판결했다. 과테말라 정부가 이 사건을 적절히 조사하지 못했음은 물론, 과테말라 사회에 만연해 있는 여성에 대한 폭력과 차별의 뿌리깊은 관행 문제를 다루고 해결하지 못해 결국 부실수사로 이어지게 만들었다는 것이다.

세바스티안 엘게타(Sebastian Elgueta) 국제앰네스티 과테말라 조사관은 “이번 판결은 여성들이 폭력으로부터 보호받고, 인권침해에 대한 책임을 물을 수 있는 환경을 조성해야한다는 정부의 법적 의무를 강조한 것으로 아주 중요한 시점의 판결이다. 마리아 이사벨의 유족들과 지지자들은 그녀의 참혹한 죽음에 책임이 있는 사람들을 제대로 조사하고 기소할 때까지 활동을 쉬지 않을 것”이라며 “과테말라에서 살해된 모든 여성들의 죽음을 진지하게 받아들이고, 여성폭력을 예방하여 모든 사람이 안전하고 존중받는 사회를 만들기 위한 구체적인 조치를 취해야만 이번 사건의 교훈을 깨닫게 될 것”이라고 밝혔다.

마리아 이사벨 벨리스 프랑코는 지난 2011년 과테말라시티에서 납치되었다가 며칠 후 시신으로 발견되었다. 마리아 이사벨의 시신은 성폭행을 당했고, 손발은 가시철사로 묶여 있었으며 흉기에 찔리고 목이 졸려 숨진 채 가방 속에서 발견되었다. 시신의 얼굴은 얻어맞아 심하게 훼손되어 있었으며, 시신 곳곳에 작은 구멍이 뚫려 있었고, 목에는 밧줄이 감겨 있었으며 손톱은 뒤집어진 채였다.

목격자들의 증언으로 유력한 용의자를 찾아냈지만, 검찰은 이 사건을 철저하게 수사하지 않았다.

안타깝게도 마리아 이사벨이 납치된 후 당해야 했던 잔혹한 신체적, 성적 폭력은 과테말라에서 살해된 수백여 명의 여성들 대부분에게서 흔하게 나타난 특징이다. 과테말라 정부의 추산에 따르면 지난해 522명의 여성들이 살인사건으로 목숨을 잃었다.

미주인권재판소는 과테말라 정부가 이처럼 폭력이 만연한 분위기를 해결하고자 시도했다는 점에 주목했으나, 한편으로는 과테말라에서 이러한 범죄가 처벌되지 않는 비율이 상당히 높으며, “여성들의 사망을 초래한 폭력 행위 중 대부분이 처벌받지 않고 있다”는 점도 지적했다.

국제앰네스티는 과테말라 정부에 미주인권재판소의 판결을 유념하고 전면 이행할 것을 촉구한다.

엘게타 조사관은 “마리아 이사벨과 같은 여성들은 이러한 여성폭력을 용인하는 사회가 초래하는 정신적 충격, 사망, 불의를 다시는 접하지 말아야 한다”고 밝혔다.

마리아 이사벨의 어머니인 로사 엘비라 프랑코 산도발은 정부에 딸의 죽음에 대한 진상 조사를 요구하며 오랫동안 힘겨운 싸움 중이다. 그 후로는 누군지 모를 사람들로부터 살해 위협과 괴롭힘에 시달리고 있다.

마리아 이사벨 살인사건에 대한 과테말라 정부의 조사가 수 차례 연기되면서 로사 엘비라는 2004년 해당 사건을 미주인권위원회에 제소했고, 결국 미주인권재판소로 회부되었다.

금주 초 미주인권재판소는 과테말라 정부가 마리아 이사벨의 생명권과 개인의 존엄성은 물론 가족들의 공정한 사법절차를 밟을 권리와 법적 보상을 받을 권리까지 보호하지 못했다고 판결했다.

또한 마리아 이사벨의 죽음을 조사하는 과정에 대해서는 심각한 우려를 제기했다. 미주인권재판소는 판결문을 통해 “[과테말라에서의] 성별에 대한 고정관념이 조사 과정에 부정적인 영향을 미쳐 피해자와 그 가족에게 [사망의] 책임을 돌리고, 그 외의 수사 방향을 모두 차단했다”고 설명했다.

미주인권재판소는 과테말라 정부에 마리아 이사벨 살인사건의 가해자들을 가려내고, 절차를 밟아 처벌할 수 있도록 효율적인 조사를 진행할 것을 명령했다.

국제앰네스티는 이 사건에 대해 캠페인을 진행했으며, 지난 2013년 록사나 발데티 과테말라 대통령에게 행동을 촉구하는 탄원서를 전달하기도 했다.

International Court exposes Guatemalan State role in horrific death of teenage girl

The Inter-American Court of Human Rights’ ruling that Guatemalan authorities failed to investigate the tragic murder of a teenage girl sends a strong message to governments around the world that failure to address violence against women will not be tolerated, said Amnesty International ahead of a press conference on the ruling in Guatemala City today.

The case was brought by the mother of María Isabel Veliz Franco, a 15-year-old girl who had been sexually assaulted, tortured and brutally murdered in Guatemala in 2001. On Monday 28 July, the court found that not only had Guatemalan authorities failed to properly investigate the murder, but that they had failed to address and resolve the ingrained culture of violence and discrimination against women that permeates Guatemalan society, which led to a flawed investigation.

“This is a hugely important moment marking the legal responsibility of a government to create and maintain an environment where women and girls are protected from violence and where there is accountability when violations occur. But María Isabel’s family and supporters can not rest until those responsible for her horrific death are investigated and prosecuted,” said Sebastian Elgueta, Guatemala researcher at Amnesty International.

“The lessons of this case will only be learnt once the deaths of all women and girls murdered in Guatemala are taken seriously, and concrete steps are taken to prevent violence against women and create a safe and respectful society for all.”
In December 2001 María Isabel Veliz Franco was kidnapped in Guatemala City. Days later her body was found. She had been raped, bound with barbed wire on her hands and feet, stabbed, strangled and put in a bag. Her face was disfigured from being punched, her body was punctured with small holes, there was a rope around her neck and her nails were bent back.
Witnesses provided evidence that identified prime suspects, but the prosecutor’s office failed to investigate thoroughly.

Sadly, the brutal physical and sexual violence inflicted on María Isabel following her abduction is a characteristic common to many of the hundreds of killings of women and girls in Guatemala. Last year, according to state figures, 522 women were killed.
The Inter-American Court noted attempts by the Guatemalan authorities to address this atmosphere of violence, but also noted that the country has a high rate of impunity for such crimes, and that the “majority of violent acts that lead to the deaths of women remain unpunished”.
Amnesty International is calling on the Guatemalan government to heed and completely implement the Inter-American Court of Human Rights ruling.
“Women and girls like María Isabel must never again have to face the trauma, deaths and injustices created by a society that allows such violence against women,” said Sebastian Elgueta.

María Isabel’s mother Rosa Elvira Franco Sandoval has fought long and hard to get authorities to investigate her daughter’s death and has subsequently faced death threats and harassment by unknown individuals.

The Guatemalan authorities’ investigations into her daughter’s murder were delayed so many times that Rosa Elvira took her case to the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights in 2004 and finally to the Inter-American Court.

Earlier this week the court found that the Guatemalan State had failed to protect María Isabel’s right to life and personal integrity as well as her family’s right to a fair judicial process and legal remedy.

Serious concerns were raised about the investigation into the teenager’s death. The ruling explains that: “Gender stereotypes [in Guatemala] had a negative influence on the investigation in that they laid the blame [for the murder] on the victim and her family, closing off other lines of investigation.”
The court ordered the State to conduct an efficient investigation to identify, process and punish those responsible for the death of María Isabel, and to strengthen and develop its legal framework protecting women and girls against violence.

Amnesty International campaigned on this case. In 2013 Vice President Roxana Baldetti received calling for action in the case.

트럼프 대통령, 망명 신청자에게 ‘폭력’이 아닌 고통을 함께 하는 ‘연민’을 보내라!
온라인액션 참여하기
세상의 부당함에 맞서 싸웁니다
후원하기