뉴스 인권뉴스

튀니지: 활동가들에게 ‘표현의 자유’ 보장해야

photo via @Zwewla

지난해 11월 튀니지에서 그래피티를 그린 혐의로 기소된 활동가 2명이 표현의 자유를 행사했다는 이유로 징역형에 처해져서는 안 된다고 1월 22일 국제앰네스티가 밝혔다.

오사마 부아질라(Oussama Bouajila, 25세)와 차힌 베리크(Chahine Berrich, 23세)는 빈곤퇴치 거리미술단체인 즈웨울라(Zwewla) –  ‘가난한 사람들(the poor)’ – 의 일원이다. 부아질라와 베리크는 “공공질서를 어지럽힐 목적으로 허위사실을 유포”하고 “비상사태에 저항”하며 “허가 없이 공공기물에 그래피티를 그린 행위”로 기소되었다.

그들은 지난 11월 튀니지 동남쪽에 있는 도시 가베스(Gabes)의 한 대학교 벽에 가난한 사람들을 옹호하는 구호를 쓴 후 기소되었다.

필립 루터(Philip Luther) 국제앰네스티 중동ㆍ아프리카국 국장은 “이 활동가들은 그래피티에 담겨있는 내용만으로 처벌되어선 안 된다. 단지 평화적으로 표현의 자유를 행사한 이유로 징역형에 처한다는 것은 정당화될 수 없다.”라고 주장했다.

유죄판결이 확정된다면, 부아질라와 베리크는 징역 5년 형까지 받을 수 있다. 지난 12월부터 미뤄진 공판은 1월 23일 수요일에 재개될 예정이다.

그들은 형법 제121조 3항 “공공질서를 어지럽히는 행위”로 기소되었다. 튀니지 당국은 시민의 표현의 자유를 억압하는데 이 조항을 여러 차례 적용하였다.

형법 제121조 3항에 따르면, 공공질서와 도덕을 어지럽히는 정보의 발행 및 판매, 배포는 불법이다.

국제앰네스티는 이전부터 계속되는 튀니지의 비상사태와 그에 따를 수 있는 인권규제에 대해서 우려를 표명해왔다.

루터 국장은 “국가의 비상사태가 자의적으로 표현의 자유를 제한하는 수단으로 이용될 수 없다. 표현의 자유를 누리기 위해 튀니지의 국민은 2년 전 일어난 봉기에서 치열하게 투쟁했다”고 설명했다.

국제앰네스티는 “공공질서 교란목적의 허위사실유포”와 “비상사태 도전”이라는  두가지 혐의를 폐기하라고 촉구하고 있다.

앰네스티는 또 세 번째 혐의인 “허가 없이 공공 건물에 그래피티를 그린 행위”는 표현의 자유를 평화적으로 행사한 것으로 처벌 대상에 해당되지 말아야 할 것이라고 강조했다.

영어전문 보기

Tunisia must drop unjust charges against graffiti activists

Two activists in Tunisia, who face charges in relation to their drawing of graffiti last November, must not be jailed for exercising their freedom of expression, Amnesty International said today.

Oussama Bouajila, aged 25, and Chahine Berrich, 23, from the anti-poverty street art group Zwewla (“the poor”) are charged with “spreading false information with the aim of disrupting the public order”, “defying the state of emergency” and “writing on a public building without permission”.

They were charged in November after they were caught writing slogans in support of the poor on a university wall in the city of Gabes, in the south east of Tunisia.

“These men should not be penalized for what their graffiti said. It is unjustifiable to threaten them with prison terms simply for peacefully exercising their right to freedom of expression,” said Philip Luther, Amnesty International’s director for the Middle East and North Africa.

Both men could face up to five years each in prison if convicted. Their trial, which was postponed in December, resumes on Wednesday 23 January.

They have been charged with “disrupting public order” under Article 121(3) of the Penal Code, which has been used repeatedly by the Tunisian authorities to repress freedom of expression.

Article 121(3) criminalizes the publication, distribution or sale of information that disrupts public order or public morals.

Amnesty International has previously expressed concern over the continuing state of emergency in Tunisia and the potential restrictions on human rights that it allows.

“The state of emergency should not be used as a blanket justification to arbitrarily restrict freedom of expression, a right that Tunisians fought so hard for during the uprising two years ago,” said Philip Luther.

Amnesty International is calling for two of the charges – “spreading false information with the aim of disrupting the public order” and “defying the state of emergency” –  to be dropped.

It considers that the penalty for the third charge – “writing on a public building without permission” – should not effectively amount to a punishment for peacefully exercising the right to freedom of expression.


노르웨이, 아프간으로 송환을 중단하라
온라인액션 참여하기
세상의 부당함에 맞서 싸웁니다
후원하기