인권뉴스

과테말라: 시위자 학살에 대한 진정한 대화와 철저한 조사 필요

육군 대령 1명과 병사 8명은 현재 시위와 관련한 살인죄로 기소되어 과테말라 시에서 재판을 받을 예정이다 © JOHAN ORDONEZ/AFP/GettyImages

10월 26일 국제앰네스티는 과테말라 당국이 시위에서 일어나는 반복적이고 치명적인 폭력을 막을 수 있는 유일한 길은 선주민들과 지방노동자들, 시민사회 단체들과의 적절한 협의라고 전했다.

이 요청은 이번 주 오토 페레즈 몰리나(Otto Pérez Molina)대통령과 토토니카판(Totonicapán, 수도에서 북서쪽으로 150Km가량 떨어져 있음)의 마야 키쉬(Maya Ki’che’) 선주민 대표들과의 회의를 거쳐 이루어진다. 이 회의는 이달 초 시 외부에서 팬아메리칸 하이웨이(Pan-American highway)를 따라 진행된 시위에 대한 보안대의 대응으로 7명이 총격으로 사망하고 30명이 넘는 사람들이 부상당한 사건을 배경으로 이루어진다.

육군 대령 1명과 병사 8명은 현재 시위와 관련하여 살인죄로 기소되어 과테말라시에서 재판을 받을 예정이다.

세바스찬 엘게타(Sebastian Elgueta) 국제앰네스티 과테말라 조사관은 “토토니카판에서의 비극적 살인에 관한 조사가 진행되고 있다는 것은 긍정적인 단계이다. 그러나 만약 지역 주민과 대통령의 대화가 조금 더 일찍 이루어졌었다면, 이 비극은 피할 수 있었을 것이다”고 전했다.

이어서 “법률과 개발계획의 영향권에 있는 사람들과의 적절한 협상에 실패한 것은 재앙을 부르는 것이다. 그리고 협상을 진행하는 것은 미래에 사회적 갈등이 폭력으로 분출되는 것을 피하기 위한 필수적 방법이다”고 덧붙였다.

2012년 4월 유엔총회의 자유권위원회(Human Rights Committee)는 과테말라 당국이 선주민들과의 협의에 실패했다고 강조했다. 선주민과 그들의 삶의 방식에 영향을 미치는 어떠한 계획이라도 선주민들의 자유와 사전동의를 구하는 것이 국제적 의무이다.

10월 4일 발생한 시위에서 토토니카판 주민이 제기한 우려 사항들 중에는 전력비 상승, 교사들에게 영향을 미치는 법 개정과 선주민들에게 가해지는 합법적 개혁에 대한 이의가 포함되어 있었다.

지역 NGO 우데페구아(Udefegua)에 따르면, 토토니카판 선주민 대표들은 그들의 우려들을 표명하기 위한 시위 이전에 대통령과의 만남을 여러 번 요청했었다.

마침내 수요일 주민들이 대통령을 만났을 때, 선주민 대표들은 보안대의 개입으로 목숨을 잃고, 부상을 당한 피해자 가족들에게 배상하라고 요구했다.

10월 4일 학살이 발생한 이후 조사가 시작되었다. 과테말라 당국은 당시 어떤 일이 일어났었는지 조사하기 시작했고 전 군장성출신 페레즈 몰리나 대통령은 군대의 전적인 협력을 약속했다.

이후 과테말라 법무부에 의해 작성된 보고서는 해당 군인들이 거리를 두라는 명령에도 현장에서 사람들을 죽이고 부상을 입혔다고 제시했고, 독립적 검사기관(Public Ministry) 보고서는 군인들이 시위자들에게 발포했다는 증거를 폭로했다. 이는 이전에 공식성명에서는 부인했던 내용이다.

국제앰네스티는 애초부터 왜 보안대가 시위에 대응하기 위해 가담했는지 명확히 밝히도록 과테말라 당국에 요구하고 있다.

엘게타 조사관은 “수십 년간의 내전으로 고통스러운 인권침해의 역사가 이어졌고, 특히 토토니카판에서의 비극 이후 대중 집회에 대한 군사적 대응은 더욱 문제가 되고 있다”고 전했다.

또한 “어떠한 조사든지 군인들이 대중집회에 배치된 이유가 무엇인지 반드시 밝혀야 한다. 과도한 무력 사용에 대한 책임자들은 반드시 법정에 서야 하고, 피해자들과 피해가족들에 대한 충분한 배상이 이루어져야 한다”고 전했다.

영어전문 보기

Guatemala: After massacre, real dialogue must follow investigation and prosecutions

Proper consultation with Indigenous Peoples, rural workers and civil society groups is the only way the Guatemalan authorities can prevent a deadly pattern of violence erupting at protests, Amnesty International said today.

The call follows this week’s meeting between President Otto Pérez Molina and Maya Ki’che’ Indigenous leaders from Totonicapán, 150km north-west of the capital, in the aftermath of seven people being shot dead and more than 30 injured when security forces responded to a protest along the Pan-American highway outside the town earlier this month.

An army colonel and eight soldiers are currently facing trial in Guatemala City on charges linked to the killings.

“While it’s a positive step that the investigation is proceeding into the tragic killings in Totonicapán, this tragedy could have been averted if the President’s dialogue with the region’s residents had happened earlier,” said Sebastian Elgueta, Guatemala Researcher at Amnesty International.

“Failing to carry out proper consultations with those affected by legislation and development projects is a recipe for disaster, and ongoing consultation is necessary to avoid social conflicts erupting into violence in the future.”

In April 2012, the United Nations General Assembly’s Human Rights Committee highlighted that Guatemala’s authorities were failing to consult with Indigenous Peoples – international obligations require the free, prior informed consent of Indigenous Peoples for any proposed changes that will affect them or their way of life.

Among the concerns raised by Totonicapán residents at the 4 October demonstration were rising electricity costs and disagreements about legislative reforms affecting teachers and the impact of constitutional reforms on Indigenous Peoples.

According to local NGO Udefegua, Totonicapán’s Indigenous leaders had requested a meeting with the President several times before the protest to voice their concerns.

When they finally met him on Wednesday, Indigenous leaders also demanded reparations for the families of those killed and injured following the security forces’ intervention in the protest.

Investigation started In the aftermath of the 4 October killings, the Guatemalan authorities launched an investigation into what happened, and President Pérez Molina – who is a former military general – pledged the full cooperation of the armed forces.

A report by the Guatemalan Attorney General’s office has since suggested that the soldiers who responded to the scene did so despite orders to stay away, and a Public Ministry report reveals ballistic evidence that soldiers opened fire on the protesters – contradicting earlier official statements.

Amnesty International urges the Guatemalan authorities to clarify why the military became involved in the response to the protest in the first place.

“Given the painful history of human rights violations by the military during Guatemala’s decades-long civil war, any militarization of the response to public protests is especially troubling – all the more so after the tragedy in Totonicapán,” said Elgueta.

“Any investigation must bring to light why soldiers were deployed to a public protest. All those found responsible for excessive use of force must be brought to justice, and full reparations must be granted to victims and their families.”


인도의 NGO, 폐쇄 위기에 처하다
온라인액션 참여하기
세상의 부당함에 맞서 싸웁니다
후원하기