인권뉴스

시리아 군인 “시위대 향해 발포 명령 받았다”


전직 시리아 공화국 수비대 왈리드 압 알-카립 알 콰샤미( Walid Abd al-Karim al-Qash’ami)가 국제앰네스티에 자신과 동료 병사가 시위대 발포 명령을 받았다고 밝혔다. 이들 시위대는 4월 다마스커스( Damascus) 근처 하라스타(Harasta)에서 평화롭게 시위를 진행하고 있었다.

왈리드는 보안군이 어린 아이 세 명과 젊은 남녀 두 명을 살해한 것을 목격한 후 발포 명령을 거부하고 시위대에 가담했다. 왈리드는 이 때문에 사형이 언도됐다는 소식을 들었다.

군 간부들이 왈리드와 동료에게 “폭력배”를 진압할 것이라고 말을 했지만, 그 사람들은 2천 여 명의 비무장 시위대였고, 어린아이와 여성도 있었다. 많은 남성들이 무기를 소지하고 있지 않음을 보여주려고 셔츠를벗어 보였고, 시위대는 장미를 들고 있었다.

왈리드는 “나는 보안군과 군대가 실제 비무장 시위대에 발포하는 것을 보고 충격을 받았다. 시위대는 “평화롭게, 평화롭게” 그리고 “우리는 데라아(Dera’a)를 위해 우리의 목숨을 바친다!”라고 외치고 있었다. 연호하는 소리를 듣고서, 나는 그들을 조준할 수 없었다. 나는 데라아에서 왔고 시위대가 나의 고향을 위해 목숨을 걸고 있었기 때문이다”라고 말했다.

병사들은 소총으로 무장하고 있었고, 금속으로 된 신분증을 받았는데 이 신분증은 전시에만 사용되는 것이었다. 그리고 검은색 “대 테러 전투 부대” 유니폼을 착용하라는 명령을 받았다.

시위대는 도심 중심부 인근에 이르는 거리와 골목에 위치해 있었다. 보안군은 출구를 봉쇄했고 왈리드가 소속된 부대가 도착했을 때는 이미 시위대를 향해 발포했다.

다른 군인과 함께 대기 중일 때, 왈리드는 어린 아이 세 명과 젊은 남녀가 목숨을 잃는 광경을 목격했다.

왈리드는 “한 아이는 바로 내 앞에 서 있던 장교가 쏜 총에 머리를 맞아 사망했다. 나는 그 장교가 어린아이가 계속해서 우는 게 짜증이 나서 쐈다고 말하는 걸 들었다”고 증언했다.

왈리드와 다른 병사 다섯 명은 시위대에 발포하라는 명령을 거부했다. 그들은 무기를 내던지고 시위대를 향해 목숨을 걸고 뛰었다.

“우리가 시위대에 합류하자, 남자들은 나와 다른 합류한 군인을 돕고 나섰고 여자들이 우리를 인근에 주택가로 피신시켜 주었다.”

군대를 도망나온 병사들은 도움을 받아 하라스타(Harrasta)를 탈출했다.

“데라아가 보안군의 손에 넘어갔기 때문에 나는 그곳으로 돌아갈 수 없었다. 그래서 나는 니콰브(Niqab)를 (이슬람교도 여성들이 외출을 할 때 얼굴을 숨기기 위하여 착용하는 얼굴용 가리개)을 걸친 채 여러 도시로 옮겨 다녔다.”

도망 중에 왈리드는 보안군 대령으로 있는 친척에게서 전화를 받았다. 대령은 왈리드에게 자수를 권유했다.

대령의 부인도 왈리드에게 전화를 걸었다고 왈리드는 전했다. 그리고 만약 그가 자수하면 시리아 당국이 많은 배상금을 지불할 것이라고 전했다. 그러나 왈리드는 자신의 주장을 철회하고 시리아 군에 협조하기를 거절했다. 왈리드는 국제앰네스티에 “나는 명예나 돈을 위해서가 아니라 진실을 위해서 행동하고 있다”고 말했다.

다마스커스에서 열린 군사법정에서 왈리드에게 사형을 선고했다는 말을 대령이 가족들에게 전하자, 왈리드는 시리아 탈출을 결심했다.

“시리아를 떠나기 전 나는 내 증언을 유튜브에 남겨놓았다. 내가 잡히거나 살해당할 경우를 대비해서다.”

왈리드는 시리아를 간신히 탈출해, 할 수 있었고 데라아-시위의 중심지 중의 하나인 시리아 남부 도시-를 빠져 나온 다른 시리아인과 함께 피신 중이다.

시리아에서는 군 복무가 의무이다. 군 부대 이탈은 무기 징역 혹은 사형과 같은 중형에 처해진다.

왈리드는 비무장 시위대를 겨냥한 발포 명령을 거부하고 군을 도망쳐 나와 국제앰네스티에 증언한 두 번째 시리아 군인이다.

영어 전문 보기

SYRIAN SOLDIER ‘ORDERED TO FIRE’ ON PEACEFUL PROTESTERS

09 June 2011

A former member of the Syrian Republican Guard has told Amnesty International that he and other soldiers were ordered to open fire on unarmed protesters holding a pro-reform demonstration in Harasta, near Damascus, in April.

Walid ‘Abd al-Karim al-Qash’ami has been told that he is now under sentence of death in Syria because he refused to shoot and joined the protesters after witnessing soldiers kill three children, a young man and woman.

Speaking by phone from the country where he is now taking refuge, the 21-year-old said he was among 250 soldiers sent to quell a protest at Harasta on Saturday, 23 April.

Their officers told them they were to confront a “violent gang” but what they found were around 2,000 unarmed protesters, including children and women. Many of the men were bare-chested to show that they carried no weapons. Many of the protesters were carrying roses.

“I was shocked when I saw the security services and the army actually shooting at unarmed protesters who were chanting “Silmieh, Silmieh” (Peaceful, Peaceful) and “Nafdiki Ya Dera’a” (Our lives in return for you, Dera’a). When I heard those slogans, I just could not shoot at them, especially as I am from Dera’a and they were risking their lives for my city.”

The soldiers were armed with Kalashnikov rifles and had been given metal identity cards usually used only in war time and ordered to change into black “Combat Terrorism Unit” uniforms. The protesters were in a street or alley leading to the town’s main roundabout. Security forces had sealed off one end of it and were already shooting at protesters when Walid al-Qash’ami’s unit arrived. While standing in line with other soldiers, Walid al-Qash’ami witnessed the killing of three children and a young man and woman.

“One of the children was shot in the head by an officer who was standing right in front of me. I heard the officer say that he shot the kid because he was annoyed with his constant crying.”

Walid al-Qash’ami and five other soldiers refused to shoot at the protesters. They threw down their weapons and ran for their lives towards the protesters.

“As soon as we approached the protesters, the men stepped in between us and the other soldiers while the women closed in on us and took us to nearby houses.”

The defecting soldiers were then helped to escape from Harrasta.

“I could not return to Dera’a as it was under siege. So I moved from town to town dressed as a woman wearing a Niqab.”

While on the run, Walid al-Qash’ami received phone calls from a relative who is a colonel in the security forces who urged him to hand himself in.

The colonel’s wife also called him, he says, and said the authorities would pay him a large sum of money if he gave himself up but he refused to do so or withdraw his allegations. “I did not do this for money or fame, I did it for the truth,” he told Amnesty International.

He decided to get out of Syria when his relative in the security forces told his family that a Military Court in Damascus had sentenced him to death in his absence.

“Before I left I recorded my testimony on You Tube, to be broadcasted in case I was caught or killed.” He managed to leave Syria and is now taking refuge with other Syrians who fled from Dera’a, the southern Syrian town that has been one of the centres of protest.

Military service is compulsory in Syria. Desertion incurs severe penalties up to life imprisonment or death.

Walid ‘Abd al-Karim al-Qash’ami is the second Syrian soldier to have told Amnesty International that he deserted the ranks and fled when ordered to shoot at unarmed protesters.


중국: 굴리게이나를 석방하라
온라인액션 참여하기
세상의 부당함에 맞서 싸웁니다
후원하기