인권뉴스

시리아, 모든 양심수를 사면해야

국제앰네스티는 시리아 대통령이 평화롭게 시위에 참여했다는 이유로 구금된 사람을 포함해 즉각 모든 양심수까지 일반 사면을 확대하라고 촉구했다.

국제앰네스티의 이러한 요구는 양심수 9 명을 포함, 재소자 수백 명을 석방했다는 보도가 발표된 와중에 이루어졌다. 그러나 시리아 인권 활동가는 국제앰네스티에 석방은 무작위로 일어난 것으로 보이며 여전히 수백 명이 구금돼 있고 많은 이들이 격리구금 된 상태라고 말했다.

국제앰네스티 말콤 스마트 중동.북아프리카국 국장은 “사면 발표가 설사 실질적인 것으로 판명 난다고 해도 충분하지 않다”며 “알-아사드 대통령의 발표가 신뢰를 얻으려면 수년 동안 감옥에 갇혀있는 모든 양심수를 석방하고 보안군의 끔찍한 인권 침해를 멈추기 위한 구체적인 조치가 있어야 한다”고 말했다.

바샤르 알-아사드 대통령은 화요일 (활동) 금지된 무슬림형제단의 일원 및 정치적으로 연계된 다른 죄수를 포함, 지난달 31일 이전 저지른 범죄로 인해 수감 중인 이들을 일반 사면할 것이라고 발표했다.

사면 결정에 따라 석방된 이들 중 대부분은 현재 대중적인 시위와 관련해 체포됐으며 시리아 보안군이 운영하는 구금센터에 구금돼 있었다.

국제앰네스티는 또한 이번 시위가 시작되기 이전이 수감됐던 양심수 9명이 석방되었다는 것을 알게 되었다.

사면 발표는 시리아에서 확대되는 위기 상황에 대한 유엔 안전 보장 이사회의 주요 논쟁에 앞서 발표됐다.

말콤 스마트 국장은 “유엔 안전 보장 이사회는 사면 발표에 속아 시리아 대통령에게 가하는 압력을 멈추지 말아야 한다. 대통령이 약속한 더 많은 자유는 말뿐인 것으로 드러났다”며 “안전 보장 이사회는 가능한 한 빨리 시리아를 국제형사재판소에 회부하고 알-아사드 대통령과 그의 측근이 보안군이 시리아인에게 저지른 범죄에 대해 국제적인 책임을 지게 될 것 임을 명확히 해줘야 한다.

개혁을 요구하는 거리 시위가 3월 중순 시작된 이래 시리아 보안군은 시위대에 폭력 진압작전을 계속 해 왔고, 이 때문에 최소 750 명이 사망했다.

수천 명이 체포돼 고문이나 격리구금을 당했다. 최소 12명이 구금 중 고문으로 사망했다. 그 중 텔 켈라크흐(Tel Kelakh) 서부 마을 출신 소닷(So’dat)과 마즈드 알 구르디(Majd al-Kurdy) 형제가 있다. 지난 달 말 두 형제의 시체가 가족에게 돌아왔을 때, 목격자는 둘의 시체 모두 가슴과 다리에 자상이 있었으며 마즈드의 성기가 잘렸다고 증언했다.

시리아 당국은 시리아가 무장한 테러조직의 공격을 당하고 있다며 과잉진압을 정당화하는 수단으로 삼았다. 데라아(Dera’a)와 다른 도시에서는 보안군 탱크가 주거 지역에 폭격을 가했다. 시위대의 독립적인 보도와 보안군의 잔인한 대응은 차단됐고 국제 언론은 시리아 내 취재를 허가 받지 못했다.

영어 전문 보기

SYRIA MUST RELEASE ALL PRISONERS OF CONSCIENCE UNDER AMNESTY

02 June 2011

Amnesty International has called on Syria’s President to fully implement a “general amnesty” by immediately freeing all prisoners of conscience, including those detained because of their participation in peaceful protests.

The call came amid reports that several hundred prisoners, including about nine prisoners of conscience, have already been released. But Syrian human rights activists told Amnesty International the releases appear to be at random with many hundreds of people still detained, many of them incommunicado. “The announced amnesty, even if it proves substantive, does not go far enough,” said Malcolm Smart.

“If President al-Assad’s announcement is to have any credibility, all the prisoners of conscience who have languished in Syria’s jails for years must be released and he must take concrete steps to stop the security forces from committing gross human rights abuses.”

President Bashar al-Assad announced on Tuesday that he was issuing a general amnesty for those imprisoned for offences committed before 31 May 2011, including members of the banned Muslim Brotherhood and other “politically affiliated” prisoners.

Most of those released following the amnesty announcement had been arrested in connection with the current popular protests and held in detention centres run by Syrian security forces.

Amnesty International has also learned of the release of nine prisoners of conscience who had been in prison before the current protests began.

The amnesty announcement came ahead of a key UN Security Council debate on the growing crisis in Syria.

“The UN Security Council must not be hoodwinked by the amnesty releases into letting up pressure on the Syrian leadership, whose promises to allow greater freedoms have proved so hollow,” said Malcolm Smart.

“The Security Council must refer Syria to the ICC Prosecutor as soon as possible and make clear to President al-Assad and those around him that they will be held internationally accountable for the crimes that are being committed by their forces against the people of Syria. The victims of those crimes demand no less.”

Since street protests demanding reform began in mid-March, Syrian security forces have waged a campaign of violence against the protesters, killing at least 750 people.

Thousands have been arrested, with many being held incommunicado and tortured. At least 12 detainees appear to have died as a direct result of torture in custody, among them two brothers, So’dat and Majd al-Kurdy, from the western town of Tel Kelakh. When their bodies were returned to their family at the end of May, witnesses said both corpses had knife cuts on the chest and legs and Majd’s penis had been cut off.

The government has said it is under attack from “armed terrorist gangs” as justification for the crackdown, which has seen army tanks shell residential areas of Dera’a and other cities. Independent reporting of the protests and the security forces’ brutal response has been blocked and international media have not been allowed inside the country.


트럼프 대통령, 망명 신청자에게 ‘폭력’이 아닌 고통을 함께 하는 ‘연민’을 보내라!
온라인액션 참여하기
세상의 부당함에 맞서 싸웁니다
후원하기