인권뉴스

유엔 안보리는 시리아를 국제형사재판소에 회부해야 한다

국제앰네스티는 시리아 정부의 시위대 폭력진압이 점점 심해지고 있는 가운데, 유엔 안전보장이사회가 시리아 당국을 국제형사재판소(ICC)에 회부해야 한다고 말했다.

국제앰네스티는 3월 중순 이후 시리아 정부의 과잉진압으로 400명이 사망하자 유엔 안보리가 대응 방안을 모색하는 가운데 이와 같은 입장을 발표했다.

국제앰네스티 살릴 셰티 사무총장은 “시리아 정부가 평화롭게 항의의 뜻을 표하는 이들의 의지를 산산조각 내려는 것이 분명하다. 시위대에 포격과 총격을 가하고, 구금하고 있다”며

“시리아 정부와 보안군은 오랫동안 자신들이 수행한 작전에 대해 아무런 처벌도 받지 않고 넘어갈 것이라고 믿었다. 그리고 우리는 이제 그 결과로 시리아 거리 곳곳에서 유혈사태를 목격하고 있다”고 밝혔다.

또한 살릴 셰티 사무총장은 “알-아싸드 시리아 대통령과 측근들은 자신의 행동에 상응하는 결과가 있을 것이라는 점을 알아야 한다. 만약 시민에게 총격을 가한다면 국제사회가 이들 각각에게 형사적 책임을 물어 국제사법재판소와 보편적 사법권을 행사할 수 있는 국가 재판소에 회부할 것임을 명심해야 한다”고 말했다.

국제앰네스티는 또 시리아에 대한 포괄적 무기금수조치를 취할 것과 알-아싸드 대통령을 비롯해 그 밖에 심각한 인권 침해를 저지르거나 명령을 내린 자들의 자산 동결을 요구했다.

3월 시위가 시작된 이래, 무장하지 않은 시리아 인들은 더 많은 자유를 요구하며 거리에 운집했고, 보안군은 지속적으로 시민을 향해 직접 실탄을 쏘는 등의 공격을 하고 있다.

지난 주 시리아 정부는 48년간 지속된 국가비상사태를 철회 했다. 그러나 국가비상사태 철회이후 폭력사태는 급격히 악화되고 있다. 금요일에만 최소 120명이 시위 도중 사망했으며, 지금까지 최대 유혈사태로 기록되고 있다.

국제앰네스티는 시위가 시작된 이후 사망한 393명의 신원을 확인했으나, 정확한 사망자수는 이보다 더 많을 것으로 예상된다.

국제앰네스티의 소식통에 따르면 보안군 저격수는 특히 거리의 부상자들과 이들을 도우려는 사람을 표적으로 삼아 공격하고 있다.

국제앰네스티는 시리아 정부가 살해된 자의 대다수가 무장한 반정부군의 일원이라는 주장을 거부했다. 이 주장을 뒷받침할 증거가 없기 때문이다.

보도된 바에 따르면 4월 25일 데라아(Dera’a)에 배치된 시리아군은 일반 주거용 건물을 포격한 것으로 알려졌지만, 건물 내부에 무장한 반군 세력이 있었다는 증거는 없다.

수백 명이 시리아 전역에서 체포됐다. 대다수는 외부와 단절된 구금 상태로 소재를 알 수 없다. 석방된 많은 이들은 구금 중 고문당했다고 증언했다.

2월 26일 유엔 안보리는 만장일치로 리비아를 국제형사재판소에 회부하기로 결정한 바 있다.

살릴 셰티 사무총장은 “이제 유엔 안보리는 기대에 부응해 리비아 사태에 대응했던 것처럼 시리아에 대해서도 리더십을 보여줘야 한다”며

“반인륜범죄를 용납하지 않는 지속적 정책을 펼쳐야 모든 정부에 국제법상 범죄를 불처벌 하는 것이 더 이상 용납되지 않는다는 신호를 보낼 수 있다”고 밝혔다.

영어 전문 보기

SECURITY COUNCIL MUST REFER SYRIA TO THE ICC

26 April 2011

The UN Security Council must refer the situation in Syria to the Prosecutor of theInternational Criminal Court, Amnesty International said today, amid escalatinggovernment violence against protesters calling for reform.

The call comes as the Security Council considers its response to the brutal crackdown that has left some 400 people dead since mid-March.

“The Syrian government is clearly trying to shatter the will of those peacefully expressing dissent by shelling them, firing on them and locking them up,” said Salil Shetty, Amnesty International’s Secretary General.

“The Syrian government and its security forces have long felt able to operate with total impunity, and we are now seeing the result of that in the kinds of bloody acts that they have been committing on the streets of Syria in recent days.”

“President al-Assad and those around him have to understand that their actions will have consequences, namely that if they gun down their own citizens the international community will hold them individually criminally responsible before the ICC or national courts of states exercising universal jurisdiction.”

The organization also called for the imposition of a comprehensive arms embargo on Syria and an assets freeze on President Bashar al-Assad and others involved in ordering or perpetrating serious human rights abuses.

Since protests began in March, unarmed Syrians gathering to call for greater freedom have routinely been attacked by security forces firing live ammunition directly into crowds of peaceful demonstrators.

The government last week announced the lifting of the 48-year-old state of emergency but violence has since spiralled, with at least 120 people killed on Friday, until then the bloodiest day so far.

Amnesty International has received the names of 393 people killed since protests began, but the real number is likely to be higher.

In a number of incidents, snipers have targeted wounded people lying in the streets and people trying to assist them, according to Amnesty International’s sources.

The organization rejected claims by the Syrian government that many of the killings had been committed by anti-government armed groups, saying that it had seen no evidence to support such allegations.

After the Syrian army deployed in Dera’a on 25 April, tanks were reportedly used to shell residential buildings where there was no evidence that the persons inside were armed.

Several hundred people have been arrested across the country, the vast majority held incommunicado and with their whereabouts unknown. Many of those who have been released have reported that they were tortured in detention.

On 26 February the UN Security Council unanimously resolved to refer the situation in Libya to the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court.

“The Security Council needs now to step up to the mark and show leadership on Syria as it did on Libya,” said Salil Shetty.

“A consistent policy of zero-tolerance for crimes against humanity will send a signal to all governments that impunity for crimes under international law is no longer acceptable.”


홍콩: '우산 혁명' 활동가 4명, 징역을 선고받다
온라인액션 참여하기
세상의 부당함에 맞서 싸웁니다
후원하기