인권뉴스

국제사회가 ‘예멘’ 시위자 사망을 막기 위해 나서야 한다


국제앰네스티는 지난 해 예멘에서 발생한 인권침해 보고서를 발표하고, 최근 몇 주간 유혈 사태에 대한 책임을 묻고자 한다면 국제사회가 나서서 적극적인 역할을 해야 한다고 밝혔다.

보고서 ‘예멘, 진실의 순간’은 알리 압둘라 살레 대통령 통치에 반대하는 시위를 잔인하게 진압했고, 진압으로 인한 최근까지 사망자가 94명에 이른다고 설명했다.

예멘 시위는 부패와 실업, 자유를 억압한 데 따른 좌절로 인해 더욱 거세졌다.

국제앰네스티 필립 루터 중동, 북아프리카국 부국장은“예멘 정부가 불법적 살인과 고문, 그 밖의 부당한 대우에 책임이 있는 사람을 조사, 기소하지 않는 것으로 악명 높다”며 “국제사회는 요청이 있을 시 예멘 정부에 개발과 안보원조를 제공해 왔다. 이제는 국제사회가 개입해 이 격변의 시기에 목숨을 잃은 이들의 가족을 위해 정의를 실현하도록 해야 한다”고 말했다.

목격자에 따르면 사망자들 다수가 머리와 가슴, 목에 총상을 입었고 많은 이들이 현장에서 사망했다. 최악의 폭력 사태는 “피의 금요일”이라고 불리는 3월 18일에 일어났다. 조직적으로 편성된 저격수가 사나에서 시위대 캠프를 공격해 52명이 사망했고, 수백 명이 부상을 입었다.


예멘 정부는 3월 19일 조사를 실시할 것이라고 발표했으나 세부사항은 알려지지 않았다. 국제앰네스티는 보안군이 2월 중순 이후부터 계속된 반정부 시위 사망자에 대한 책임 소재를 밝히는 조사 대상이 되는지 알지 못한다.

국제앰네스티는 예멘 당국에 시위 도중 사망에 대해 진상조사를 하기 위해 국제사회의 지원을 받아들이라고 촉구했다.

필립 루터 부국장은 “예멘 정부는 독립적인 조사위원회를 열어 시위대 사망과 부상에 대해 조사를 실시해야 한다”며“조사위원회가 실질적인 권한을 가지고 관계자들의 증언을 받아내고 불법적 살인과, 과도한 무력 사용에 책임이 있거나 이에 연루된 사람을 재판에 회부할 수 있어야 한다”고 말했다.

대규모 시위가 예멘 전역에서 이어지고 있으며, 일부에서는 폭력 진압도 벌어지고 있다. 일부 경우에는 매우 폭력적인 방식이 동원됐다. 지난 4월 2일에서 4일 사이 수천 명이 타이즈(Ta’izz) 거리에서 시위를 벌이던 도중 보안군이 공격해 수백 명이 부상당했다. 사망자 수는 아직 알려지지 않았다.

국제앰네스티는 살레 대통령과 그의 측근 혹은 누군가가 권력을 넘겨주는 대가로 기소에 대한 면책권을 주는 정치 거래 가능성을 경고했다.

필립 루터 부국장은 “예멘인들이 책임에 따른 처벌을 요구하는데 최고 통치자가 방관하는 것은 있을 수 없는 일”이라며 “예멘 전역에 걸쳐 긴장을 완화하려면 문제를 회피하지 말고, 진실과 정의를 바로 세워야 한다”고 밝혔다.

보고서에서 국제앰네스티는 예멘 정부가 남부분리주의의 성장, 알카에다 공격, 북부에서 간헐적으로 발생하는 후티(Huthi) 반군과의 충돌에 대처하는 방식으로 불법적 살해와, 고문 및 기소 없는 장기구금을 하는 등 인권침해가 지속되는 것에 큰 우려를 표하고 있다.

국제앰네스티는 2월 이후 발생한 사망 관련 조사위원회가 최근 몇 년간 반복되는 폭력에 대한 불처벌의 유산을 청산하기 위한 발판이 되어야 한다고 말했다.

국제앰네스티는 모든 정부에 예멘으로 공급하는 군수품을 이용해 시위대 과잉진압에 사용될 경우 즉각 예멘 당국과 무기 및 탄약, 대형무기 관련 거래를 중지할 것을 요구했다.

예멘에 무기를 공급하는 국가는 불가리아, 체코공화국, 프랑스와 독일, 이탈리아, 러시아, 터키, 영국, 우크라이나, 미국이다.

영어 전문 보기

INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY MUST HELP PROBE YEMEN’S PROTEST KILLINGS

5 April 2011

The international community must play a more active role if Yemenis are to get accountability for the bloody killings of recent weeks, Amnesty International said as it released a new report into human rights violations in Yemen over the last year.

Moment of Truth for Yemen documents the brutal repression of a wave of protests against the rule of President Ali Abdullah Saleh which has left 94 dead according to the organization’s latest figures. The protests have been fuelled by frustration at corruption, unemployment and repression of freedoms.

“The Yemeni government has an abysmal record of failing to investigate or prosecute those responsible for unlawful killings and torture or other ill-treatment,” said Philip Luther, Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for Middle East and North Africa.”

“The international community has provided development and security assistance to the Yemeni authorities when asked. It is now time for it to step in and help deliver justice for the families of those who have lost their lives during this turbulent period.”

The worst violence took place on 18 March, since labelled “Bloody Friday” by protesters, when an apparently co-ordinated sniper attack on a protest camp in Sana’a reportedly left 52 people dead and hundreds injured.

An eyewitness told Amnesty International that most of those killed were shot in the head, chest or neck, many of them dying at the scene.

The Yemeni government announced on 19 March that an investigation would be opened, but no further details have been made public.

Amnesty International is not aware of any member of the security forces being investigated for deaths which have occurred in anti-government protests since mid-February 2011.

The organization called on the Yemeni authorities to acknowledge that they need the help of the international community to carry out investigations that can uncover the full truth about the recent protest deaths in the country.

“Yemenis need an independent commission of inquiry to investigate the killings and injury of demonstrators or bystanders in recent weeks,” said Philip Luther

“The inquiry needs real teeth, with powers to compel officials to testify and to ensure that anyone identified as having committed or ordered unlawful killings or excessive use of force is brought to justice.”

Large demonstrations have continued to take place across Yemen and in some cases violently repressed. Between 2 and 4 April, thousands took to the streets in Ta’izz where security forces reportedly used excessive force injuring hundreds and as yet unknown number of deaths. .

Amnesty International warned against any possible political deals that would see President Saleh, his close relatives and possibly others offered immunity against prosecution in return for handing over power.

“The strongmen at the top cannot be allowed to just shift quietly into the sidelines when the Yemeni people are so vocally calling for accountability,” said Philip Luther.

“The way to begin defusing tensions across the country is to deliver truth and justice, not to find ways to sidestep it.”

The report also details Amnesty International’s grave concerns at continuing human rights violations, including unlawful killings, torture and prolonged detention without charge, related to the Yemeni government’s response to growing calls for secession in the south, attacks by al-Qa’ida and an intermittent conflict with Huthi rebels in the north.

A commission of inquiry into protest deaths since February should be the springboard for a much wider process of dealing with the heavy legacy of impunity for patterns of violations in recent years, the organization said.

Amnesty International also called on all governments to immediately suspend the authorization, supply and transfers of weapons, munitions, armaments and related material to the security forces in Yemen, if they could be used for excessive force in the policing of protests.

Suppliers to Yemen include Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, the Russian Federation, Turkey, UK, Ukraine and the USA.


콩고민주공화국: 유년시절을 빼앗긴 카사이의 어린이들
온라인액션 참여하기
세상의 부당함에 맞서 싸웁니다
후원하기