인권뉴스

이집트 군, 시위자들을 보호할 것을 다시 한번 요구 받다


카이로와 이집트 전역에서 친-정부 지지 세력이 시위자들을 공격하는 등의 충돌이 발생한 것과 관련해 국제앰네스티는 오늘 이집트 당국에게 평화로운 시위를 보호할 것을 촉구하였다.

국제앰네스티의 이집트 진상조사단은 이러한 폭력이 부분적으로는 정치 개혁을 요구하는 시위대를 탄압하려는 의도로 이집트 당국이 주도하는 것으로 보인다고 보고했다.

국제앰네스티 중동•북아프리카국 하시바 하지 사라위(Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui) 부국장은 “이집트 군은
현재 평화로운 시위대를 보호하겠다는 약속을 저버리고 있는 것처럼 보인다.”라고 밝혔다.

“이집트 군이 거기에 배치돼 있는 동안에 그러한 폭력이 계속되도록 허용되었다는 사실은 혹 군이 이를 간섭하지 말라는 명령을 받은 것이 아닌지를 질문하게 만든다.”

지난 2일 이른 시간, 화요일에 무라바크 대통령이 재선을 포기하겠다고 성명을 발표한 이후 군은 시위대가 일상 생활로 돌아가야만 한다고 말했다.

후에 군 당국은 무라바크 지지자들이 타흐리르 광장에 들어가 반정부 시위대를 공격하도록 허용한 것으로 알려졌다.

타흐리르 광장에 진입을 시도한 국제앰네스티 직원은 무라바크 지지자들에 의하여 제지 당하였다. 그는 명백히 충돌의 결과로 부상을 당해서 광장을 떠나는 사람들을 목격하였다.

이집트 전역에 걸쳐 주요 도시에서는 반정부 시위에 대한 공격이 일어나고 있는 중이다. 카이로 북부의 산업지구인 마할라에서는 일부 목격자들이 국제앰네스티 조사관들에게 현지에서 당일 아침 무라바크 지지자들을 실은 대형 화물차를 보았다고 증언하였다.

하시바 하지 사라위 부국장은 “(시위대에 대한) 이러한 폭력은 전례없는 대중적 퇴진 요구에 맞서 반정부 시위를 종식시키고 통제력을 회복하고 권력을 유지하려는 이집트 당국에 의해서 조작되고 있는 것으로 보인다.”라고 밝혔다.

시위자들 간의 폭력은 시위를 방해하고 해산하기 위해 당국이 주도하는 식의 이집트 내 정치적 폭력의 익숙한 형태를 따르고 있다.

지난 선거 기간에 국제앰네스티는 이집트 당국이 어떻게 유권자들을 위협하고 정치적 반대 세력의 결집을 방해하기 위하여 폭력배들을 고용해왔는지 밝혀낸 적이 있다.

지난 9일 간 이집트인들은 정치•인권 개혁을 요구하는 전례 없는 규모의 시위를 계속해 오고 있다.

언론 보도에 따르면 수십 만명의 사람들이 시위 주도자들이 ‘백만인’ 시위라는 별명으로 부르고 있는, 호스니 무라바크 대통령의 하야와 부패, 빈곤, 그리고 경찰에 의한 인권침해를 종식을 요구하는 시위에 참여했다.

영어전문보기

EGYPTIAN ARMY URGED TO PROTECT PROTESTERS

2 February 2011

Amnesty International today called on the Egyptian authorities to protect the right to peaceful protest as clashes erupted with organized groups of pro-government supporters attacking protesters in Cairo and across Egypt.

An Amnesty International fact-finding team in Egypt reported that the violence appeared to be orchestrated in part by the authorities to suppress continuing protests calling for political reform.

“The army seems now to be reneging on its commitment to protect peaceful protesters,” said Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui, Middle East and North Africa Programme Deputy Direcor at Amnesty International.

“The fact that such violence is allowed to continue as the army stand there begs the question whether they have orders not to interfere.”

Earlier in the day, the army said anti-government protesters should return to their every day lives, following the announcement on Tuesday by President Mubarak that he would not stand for re-election.

Later the army is reported to have allowed pro-Mubarak supporters to flood into Tahrir Square and attack the anti-government protesters.

An Amnesty International staff member trying to get to Tahrir Square was blocked by groups of pro-Mubarak demonstrators. He witnessed people leaving the square with injuries, apparently as a result of the clashes.

The attacks on anti-government demonstrators are now occurring in other key cities across Egypt. In Mahalla, an industrial area north of Cairo, eyewitnesses told Amnesty International researchers on the ground that they saw lorry loads of pro-Mubarak supporters leaving this morning.

“It looks like much of this violence is being orchestrated by the Egyptian authorities in order to force an end to the anti-government protests, restore their control and cling on to power in face of unprecedented public demands for them to go,” said Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui.

The violence between protesters fits into a familiar pattern of political violence in Egypt, orchestrated by the authorities in order to disrupt and disperse protests.

In previous election years, Amnesty International documented how hired thugs were used by the Egyptian authorities in order to intimidate voters and to disperse gatherings of their political opponents.

Over the last nine days, Egyptians have been demonstrating in unprecedented numbers for political and human rights reform.

On Tuesday, hundreds of thousands of people gathered for what organizers dubbed a ‘Million Man’ protest calling for President Mubarak to step down and corruption, poverty and police abuses to end.


중국: 굴리게이나를 석방하라
온라인액션 참여하기
세상의 부당함에 맞서 싸웁니다
후원하기