인권뉴스

케냐인 남성, 강제 퇴거 시위 중 경찰에 총맞고 숨져

국제앰네스티는 케냐 나이로비(Nairobi) 주거지 강제 퇴거 반대시위를 벌이던 한 시장 상인이 경찰의 총에 맞아 숨졌다는 보도와 관련해 케냐 당국이 조사에 착수할 것을 요구했다.74세 잭슨 마이나 키하토(Jackson Maina Kihato)는 카베테 NITD (Kabete NITD) 주거지에서 시위를 벌이던 중 경찰이 여성을 폭행하는 것을 보고 항의하다 숨졌다. 이날 계속된 시위는 지난 7월 10일 집과 노점상을 중심으로 대규모 강제 퇴거 조치가 이루어져 약 1,000명이 쫓겨난 것에 대한 것이었다.

국제앰네스티 유스투스 니양아야(Justus Nyang’aya) 케냐지부 국장은 “잭슨 마이나 키하토는 강제 퇴거에 의해 집과 살림을 모두 빼앗겼고 이웃을 지키려다 끝내 목숨마저 잃었다”며 “이러한 충격적이고 정당하지 못한 범행을 저지른 이는 즉시 사법적 심판을 받아야 한다”고 말했다.

영어 전문 보기

Man shot dead by police in Nairobi forced eviction protests21 July 2010

Amnesty International has urged the Kenyan authorities to investigate the death of a market trader reportedly shot dead by police during a protest against forced evictions in a Nairobi settlement.

Jackson Maina Kihato, 74, was killed on Monday after he tried to complain about the police beating a woman during demonstrations in Kabete NITD. Protests have continued in the settlement since an estimated 1,000 people lost their homes and market stalls in a mass forced eviction on 10 July.

“A man who last week lost his home and livelihood in a forced eviction has now been shot dead for trying to defend a fellow resident from police violence,” said Justus Nyang’aya, Amnesty International’s Kenya director.

“The person found to be responsible for this shocking and apparently unprovoked attack must be brought to justice immediately.”

Participants in Monday’s protest – mainly women market traders who lost their stalls and homes in last week’s demolition – had blocked the road next to the flattened eviction site in order to demonstrate.

Police arrived and tried to disperse the protesters with tear gas. When that failed, they began beating the demonstrators with batons.

During the protests, Jackson Maina Kihato approached a police officer to complain about the beating of a woman by another policeman. The police officer then reportedly shot the 74-year-old in the chest from close range. The violence was captured in a news report on the Kenya Television Network.

Jackson Maina Kihato and his wife were both traders in Kabete NITD before it was demolished.

“Victims of the forced evictions in Kabete NITD must be given humanitarian assistance and compensated for their losses,” said Justus Nyang’aya.

“The force used by the Kenyan police to disperse the unarmed protesters was excessive and unacceptable.”

Bulldozers from the Nairobi City Council demolished around 100 homes and 470 market stalls in Kabete NITD on 10 July without giving any official notice to residents.

Angry residents reportedly clashed with armed police in the following days as tensions flared in the settlement.

The evictions have left hundreds of people, mainly women and children, without shelter. Many are sleeping outdoors without blankets or warm clothes, or money to buy food or other essential items. Residents believe that another part of the settlement is also at risk of being demolished.

Kabete NITD (Native Industrial Training Department) was established in 1974 by workers constructing a road. The land is owned by the Veterinary Department of the government of Kenya, although there have been other claims of ownership and repeated threats of forced eviction.

In May 2010, market traders operating from the road reserve in Kangemi were relocated by the provincial administration to unused land in Kabete NITD. The relocation took place after months of consultation and negotiation and was peacefully carried out.

By contrast, the forced evictions from Kabete NITD have been carried out without any such safeguards and completely disregard the relocation plan that had earlier been agreed with the communities.


중국: 굴리게이나를 석방하라
온라인액션 참여하기
세상의 부당함에 맞서 싸웁니다
후원하기