인권뉴스

인도네시아: 스리랑카 난민 불법 송환 시도해

인도네시아 아체 주 정부가 40명이 넘는 스리랑카 타밀족 비호신청자들에게 경고사격을 하고 바다로 돌려보내려 위협하는 등 명백한 국제법 위반행위를 저지르며 이들의 생명을 위협하고 있다고 국제앰네스티가 17일 밝혔다.

© AFP/Getty Images

© AFP/Getty Images

유엔난민기구(UNHCR) 현지 관계자조차 접근 금지

아체(Aceh) 주 정부, 인도네시아 부통령 지시 무시

난민 44명 중에 어린이 9명, 만삭 임신부 포함

조세프 베네딕트(Josef Benedict) 국제앰네스티 동남아시아-태평양 캠페인국장은 “이같이 생명을 위태롭게 하는 위협적인 전략 대신, 인도네시아 정부는 이들이 안전하게 정박하고 유엔난민기구의 면담을 받을 수 있도록 허용해야 한다”고 밝혔다.

아체 지방 경찰은 해안으로 도망치려는 스리랑카 타밀족 여성 5명에게 경고사격으로 위협했다. 이후 아체 주 정부는 연안에 머물고 있던 난민선을 강제송환하기 위해 바다로 돌려보내려고 시도했다. 배에 탄 사람 중에는 만삭의 임신부와 어린이 9명이 포함되어 있다.

반다 아체 이민국 대변인은 17일, 타밀족 비호신청자들이 3주 전 스리랑카를 출발했으며, 이들이 인도네시아에 정박하는 것을 허가하지 않을 것이라고 밝혔다. 이들 난민이 원래 향하려던 목적지는 호주의 크리스마스 섬이었다.

아체 주 경찰의 후세인 하미디(Husein Hamidi) 경감은 타밀족 난민에게 식량을 제공하고 보트를 수리한 후, 정책에 따라 해군이 이들을 공해상으로 돌려보낼 준비를 하고 있다고 밝혔다.

조세프 베네딕트 국장은 “인도네시아는 지난해 안다만 해에서 표류하던 난민과 이주민 수백여 명에게 지원을 제공하며 국제사회로부터 얻은 신뢰를 자기 손으로 내다 버리고 있다. 2015년 5월 당시 난민 위기와는 대조적으로, 당국이 지난 한 주간 보여준 행보는 다른 나라들이 저지르는 악명 높은 태도를 답습하는 것이다.”고 밝혔다.

아체 이민국과 경찰, 해군은 난민들에게 거주지를 제공하라는 주서프 칼라(Jusuf Kalla) 인도네시아 부통령의 지시를 무시했으며, 그 대신 해당 지역을 폐쇄하고 타밀족 난민들이 해안으로 들어오지 못하도록 막고 있다.

유엔난민기구 관계자들은 아체 주에서 대기하며 스리랑카 타밀족 난민들을 만나 신분을 확인하고 상황을 밝힐 준비를 하고 있다.

베네딕트 국장은 “아체 주 이민국과 보안군은 자국 부통령의 권위를 무시하며 UNHCR이 제 역할을 하지 못하게 하고 있다. 인도네시아 정부의 모든 관계부처가 공인된 국제기구와 함께 협력해 전반적으로 일관적인 기준이 적용되도록 해야 한다”고 말했다.

배경정보

6월 11일 아체 주의 어부들이 해안에서 배를 발견했고, 곧 인도네시아 해군에 이를 신고했다. 해군은 보트의 정박조차 허용하지 않은 채, 보트에 탄 사람들이 적절한 서류를 갖추지 않았다며 이들의 비호 신청도 받아들이지 않았다. 국제법상 서류가 부족하거나 일반적인 입국이 아니라고 해서 비호 신청을 불가할 수는 없다.

배에 탄 사람들은 스리랑카에서 박해를 당하던 소수민족인 타밀족으로 알려졌으며, 스리랑카에서 떠나 인도에서 보트를 타고 위험한 여정을 시작했다. 최근 많은 점이 개선되었지만, 여전히 법집행공무원의 타밀족에 대한 차별적 대우는 우려로 남아 있다.

이들은 1,700km 이상 떨어진 인도에서 인도 국기를 단 배를 타고 출항했다. 호주를 향해 3주 이상을 항해한 보트는 아체 연안에 이르러 악천후를 만났고, 결국 로큰가에 표류하게 되었다.

유엔 인권위원회는 지난 4월 스리랑카에서 테러방지법(PTA)으로 타밀족을 체포하는 일이 빈번했다고 지적한 바 있다. 테러방지법을 이유로 체포하는 경우, 다수의 사례에서 스리랑카 국가인권위원회가 제시하는 정당한 절차의 최소 기준을 만족하지 못했다. 스리랑카 타밀족은 북부와 동부 지역에서 계속되는 감시 문화가 매우 우려된다고 주장하고 있다.

Indonesia: Shots fired amid attempt to illegally push Sri Lankan Tamil asylum seekers back out to sea

– UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) on the scene but denied access
– Aceh authorities undermine Indonesian Vice President
– Nine children and a heavily pregnant woman among 44 people at risk

The Indonesian authorities in Aceh are endangering the lives of a group of more than 40 Sri Lankan Tamil asylum seekers by firing warning shots and threatening to push them back out to sea in flagrant violation of international law, Amnesty International said today.

Instead of deploying these crude intimidation tactics that could put the lives of men, women and children at risk, the Indonesian authorities should come together to allow them to disembark safely so the UN Refugee Agency can interview them.

Josef Benedict, Amnesty International’s Director of Campaigns for South East Asia and the Pacific
Today’s latest attempt to force the boat off the coast of Indonesia’s Aceh province and back out to sea comes a day after local Aceh police fired warning shots in the air, terrifying at least five Sri Lankan Tamil women who tried to run ashore. The group aboard the boat includes a heavily pregnant woman and nine children.

On Friday, a Banda Aceh immigration office spokesman said the Tamil asylum seekers who set out from Sri Lanka three weeks ago will not be allowed to disembark in Indonesia. Their original intended destination was Australia’s Christmas Island.

Aceh police chief Inspector Gen. Husein Hamidi said that after providing food to the group of Sri Lankan Tamils and repairing their boat, the policy and navy were preparing to push them back into international waters.

“Indonesia risks squandering the good will it generated when it provided assistance last year to hundreds of refugees and migrants who had been stranded on the Andaman Sea. In contrast to what happened in May 2015, developments this week invite comparisons with other countries that have a notorious record of setting desperate people adrift and at risk of death on the high seas,” said Josef Benedict.

The immigration office, police and navy in Aceh have ignored Indonesian Vice President Jusuf Kalla’s directions to provide the group with shelter. Instead, they have blocked off the area, denying the Sri Lankan Tamil asylum seekers access to the shore.

UNHCR officials are on standby in Aceh province, ready to interview the group of Sri Lankan Tamil asylum seekers to verify their identities and determine their status.

“The immigration office and security forces in Aceh are flouting the authority of their own Vice President and not letting the UNHCR do its job. Consistent standards must be applied across the board, with all Indonesian authorities working together with recognized international bodies,” said Josef Benedict.

Background

Aceh fishermen discovered the boat off the coast of Aceh province on 11 June. They subsequently reported the boat to the Indonesian Navy who have not allowed the people on the boat to disembark and apply for asylum, arguing the asylum-seekers lack the proper documentation. Under international law, neither a lack of documentation nor irregular entry precludes people from seeking asylum.

The boat began a hazardous journey from India after those on board reportedly fled Sri Lanka, where the members of the Tamil minority have suffered past persecution. Despite many recent improvements, there are still concerns about discriminatory practices against Tamils by law enforcement officials.

The group had set out from India, more than 1,700 km away, on a boat bearing an Indian flag. They had been travelling for more than three weeks headed for Australia. As they neared the coast of Aceh, bad weather struck, stranding their boat off Lhoknga.

The UN Human Rights Council noted in April that Sri Lanka saw a spate of arrests of Tamils under the Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA). Arrests carried out under the PTA have, in a number of cases, failed to meet the minimum standards of due process laid out in directives by Sri Lanka’s National Human Rights Commission. Sri Lankan Tamils remain deeply concerned about what they say is a persistent culture of surveillance in the north and east of the country.

미얀마: 로이터통신 기자 2명에 징역 7년형 선고
온라인액션 참여하기
세상의 부당함에 맞서 싸웁니다
후원하기