뉴스 인권뉴스

필리핀: ‘마긴다나오 학살’ 이후 5년, 더 이상 처벌 미뤄선 안돼

11월 23일은 세계에서 단일 사건으로는 가장 대규모라고 일컬어지는 필리핀 마긴다나오 주 언론인 학살 사건이 벌어진 지 5년째가 되는 날이다. 국제앰네스티는 23일, 마긴다나오 학살 사건에 대해 제대로 된 사법처리를 진행할 것을 필리핀 정부에게 요구했다.

2009년 11월 23일, 경찰과 군인이 포함된 것으로 알려진 100명 이상의 무장괴한이 선거인단 호송차량을 습격하면서 언론인 32명을 포함해 총 58명이 목숨을 잃는 사건이 발생했다. 이 차량은 필리핀 남부 마긴다나오 주에서 권력을 쥐고 있는 암파투안 일족의 통치 지역을 지나던 중이었다.

하젤 갈랑폴리(Hazel Galang-Folli) 국제앰네스티 필리핀 조사관은 “정의구현을 미룬다는 것은 정의를 부정하는 것이나 다름없다. 마긴다나오 학살로부터 5년이 지났지만 이 사건은 아직도 필리핀 사법제도 내에서 미미한 수준으로 진행되고 있으며, 지금까지 단 한 명도 처벌받지 않았다”고 말했다.

On November 23 2009, the bloodiest ever slaughter of journalists in a single incident occurred in Maguindanao province, southern Philippines. At least 58 people, 32 of them journalists, were murdered in Ampatuan town on Nov. 23, 2009 after an entire election convoy was ambushed. Representatives from Amnesty International attended the site in the days leading up to and including the ceremony to mark the anniversary of the massacre. Photo taken immediately before the ceremony (The event was marred by a bomb blast nearby and the discovery of further bombs in the area).

학살 사건으로 구속영장이 발부된 197명 중 절반 이상이 여전히 체포되지 않았다. 또한 지금까지 기소된 사건 중 종결된 사건도, 유죄 판결을 받은 사람도 없다.

이 사건과 관련하여 퀘손 시티 1심법원에서 민사 및 형사재판이 진행 중이지만, 여러 차례 지연과 차질을 겪은 데다 대부분이 보석심리로 진행되고 있다. 희생자 유족들 역시 학살에 연루되었다는 의혹이 있는 경찰관들을 해임할 것을 국립경찰위원회에 촉구했지만, 이들의 요청이 어떻게 처리될지는 아직 지켜봐야 할 일이다.

사건의 증인과 그 가족들 역시 피습과 살해 위협에 시달리고 있어, 정부의 신변보호가 소홀했음을 드러내고 있다. 당장 이번 주에만도 유력 증인이 마긴다나오 주에서 살해되었다. 2009년 11월 이후 최소 8명의 증인과 그 가족들이 이런 식으로 공격을 받고 목숨을 잃었다. 이러한 살인 사건의 용의자가 처벌된 사례 역시 알려진 바가 없다.

증인이 살해될 때마다 불의는 늘어가고, 이처럼 끔찍한 학살 사건의 피해자 유족들에게 정의가 실현될 기회는 줄어만 간다. 특히 필리핀은 재판 과정에서 전통적으로 증인의 증언에 상당히 의존하고 있는 국가이기 때문에 더욱 그렇다”며 “필리핀 정부는 더욱 효율적인 방법으로, 이처럼 끔찍한 학살의 책임자를 처벌하는 것에 우선순위를 두고 지원을 아끼지 말아야 한다.

-하젤 갈랑폴리(Hazel Galang-Folli) 국제앰네스티 필리핀 조사관

데니스 사칼(Dennis Sakal)과 버치 사우다갈(Butch Saudagal)은 학살 사건의 주요 용의자에게 불리한 증언을 할 예정이었으나 2014년 11월 18일 마긴다나오에서 두 사람 모두 신원미상의 괴한에게 총격을 당했고, 이로 인해 데니스가 목숨을 잃었다.

가해자들의 신원을 밝히고자 했던 알리졸 암파투안(Alijol Ampatuan)은 2012년 2월 근거리에서 총격을 당해 사망했으며, 사건 당시 무장한 남자들을 태운 차를 운전했다고 법정에서 증언했던 에스마일 아밀 에녹(Esmail Amail Enog)은 실종되었다가 2012년 5월 시신이 토막 난 상태로 발견되었다.

Philippines: Five years on, justice for Maguindanao massacre can’t wait

The Philippine authorities are running out of time to ensure that their response to the Maguindanao massacre does not become a mockery of justice, Amnesty International said on the fifth anniversary of what is often called the world’s largest-ever single attack on journalists.

On 23 November 2009, 58 people, including 32 journalists and other media workers, were killed when an election convoy came under attack by more than 100 armed men, allegedly including members of the police and the military. The convoy had been travelling in the southern province of Maguindanao, through the territory of the powerful Ampatuan clan.

“Justice delayed is justice denied. Five years after the Maguindanao massacre, the cases are still inching through the Philippine court system and not a single person has been held to account,” said Hazel Galang-Folli, Amnesty International’s Philippines Researcher.

Almost half the 197 suspects for whom arrest warrants have been issued since the massacre remain at large. Meanwhile, no prosecution has been concluded, nor has any perpetrator been convicted.

Trials in the civil and criminal cases are ongoing at a Quezon City Regional Trial Court. However, there have been several delays and setbacks and most of the court proceedings have been bail hearings. The families of the victims have also called on the National Police Commission to dismiss police officers allegedly involved in the assault, but it remains to be seen how these demands will be dealt with.

Witnesses to the massacre and their families have faced attacks and killings since the massacre, highlighting a lack of government protection. Just this week yet another prospective witness was killed in an ambush in Maguindanao province. At least eight witnesses and their family members have been killed in such attacks since November 2009. No one is known to have been held accountable for these killings either.

“Each killing of a witness creates a fresh injustice while reducing the chances of justice being served for the families of the victims of this horrific massacre. This is particularly true in a country like the Philippines where court cases have traditionally relied heavily on witness testimony,” said Hazel Galang-Folli.

“The Philippine authorities must get their act together and ensure that accountability for this horrific massacre is given high priority and enough resources.”

Dennis Sakal and Butch Saudagal, both of whom were expected to testify against the primary suspects in the massacre were gunned down by unidentified men in Maguindanao on 18 November 2014, killing the former.

Alijol Ampatuan, who according to prosecutors was willing to identify perpetrators, was shot at close range in February 2012. Esmail Amil Enog, who testified in court that he had been a driver for gunmen implicated in the massacre, was found chain-sawed into pieces after disappearing in May 2012.

노르웨이, 아프간으로 송환을 중단하라
온라인액션 참여하기
세상의 부당함에 맞서 싸웁니다
후원하기